Media outlets from across the county were introduced to this year’s fair last week, as the Walworth County Fair readies for its 164th year.
The annual media day was held at the Elkhorn Garage. There, Sue Pruessing, fair media director, and Ed Sokolowski, president of the Walworth County Fair, revved up publicity for the 2013 fair.
This year, the fair will stretch from Aug. 28 until Sept. 2. The theme is: “Start your engines and race to the fair.”
Admission at the fair gate will be $9 for adults (13 and older), and $3 for children from 6 to 12. Ages 5 and younger are free. Season passes are $30 for adults, and $10 for children (ages 5 and younger still free). Parking is $5 a day; season parking is $20.
Wednesday, Aug. 29 through Friday, Aug. 31 are senior citizen days. Anyone 62 or older will pay $4 admission.
Grandstand shows are free. This year’s musical grandstand entertainment are: Jerrod Niemann, Aug. 29, 7:30 p.m.; The Oak Ridge Boys Aug. 30 7:30 p.m.; Kenny Loggins, Aug. 31, 7:30 p.m.; and The Beach Boys, Sept. 1, 7:30 p.m.
Other grandstand entertainment will be Badger State Tractor/Truck Pulls 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Aug. 28; Round Up Tractor Pulls, starting 11 a.m. Aug. 29; Demolition Derby Sept. 2 at 1, 3 and 6:30 p.m.
Harness racing will be Aug. 30, 31 and Sept. 2 starting noon.
The Fair also is looking for Walworth County Grandparents of the year. Children ages 5 to 12 are invited to write a letter about their grandparents and then draw a picture of the favorite thing you do together.
Applications can be found online at walworthcountyfair.com. The public is asked to send completed entries to PO Box 286 Elkhorn, 53121.
For more information, call Pruessing at the fair office at (262) 723-3228. Submissions will be accepted right up to the first day of the fair.
Outstanding senior citizens
Walworth’s outstanding senior citizens for 2013 are Eileen Guthrie of Elkhorn, Neill R. Flood of Delavan and Karla and Brent Tildahl of Fontana.
Fairest of the Fair
A total of seven contestants will be contending for Fairest of the Fair. This year’s contestants are:
• Jillian Cline, 19, of Lake Geneva, daughter of Fred Cline and Heidi Hall.
• Kayla Decker, 19, of Sharon, daughter of William and Lisa Decker.
• Megan Rasmussen, 19, of Lake Geneva, daughter of Mike and Penny Rasmussen.
• Brandy Sheppard, 19, of Genoa City, daughter of Victoria Tibbitts.
• Shelby Peteler, 20, of Lake Geneva, daughter of Mark and Gail Peteler.
• Emily Watson, 21, of Elkhorn, daughter of Nathan and Diane Watson.
• Emily Cerny, 22, of Sharon, daughter of Susie and Mike Cerny.
Honored family centennial farms
This year’s honored family centennial farms are:
• The Sunny Brook Farm, Knuteson Family Farm, owned by Ken and Virginia Knuteson, Whitewater. In the family since 1885.
• The Steffen Family Morningside Farm, town of Lyons. In the family since 1899.
• The Walter and Mary York Family Farm, town of Linn. In the family since 1904.
• The Merry Water Farm, town of Linn. In the family since 1852.
• The Palmer Family Farm, town of Linn. In the family since 1880.
Classic car parade
Kunes Country Auto is once again sponsoring an Antique Classic Car and Tractor Parade and Show. Registration is between 8 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. Aug. 31. The parade on the racetrack commences at 9:30 a.m.